Monday, March 11, 2013

Consecration

Why do my thoughts of being holy often get in the way of being holy?

Several weeks ago, I found myself at a large gathering of people.  There was a couple there that is very dear to our family.  The wife hasn't been feeling well, as of late, which had lead me to prayer and concern.  Realize now that my hearing seems to be getting worse, part old, part cold, so I couldn't hear very well in this noisy hallway.  When I saw her we did the customary hug but I held on to her a bit and asked her some questions about how she was feeling.  We chatted a few moments and then I moved on to other people.  Some days later I looked back on this situation and hoped I had seemed like a concerned old friend instead of a creepy old man.  Sometimes situations take on different meanings than were implied.

How often do we misinterpret the closeness of God?

Francis Redley Havergal wrote a book, "Kept for the Masters Use", in the late 1800's.  Talking about consecration, she said this:  "The heart that is not entrusted to Him for searching, will not be undertaken by Him for cleansing; the life that fears to come to the light lest any deed should be reproved, can never know His blessedness and the privileges of walking in the light."

I think she is saying that God is not a "pick and chooser", He's a "life changer".  Is our consecration experience "nit picky"?  Are there certain things we don't want God to change?  Consecration is a Holy change of all, not a Holy choice of what.  Do we misinterpret this life changing consecration event?

"God change this horrible weakness into a strength so I can be more effective for you."

"God don't touch this strength of mine, I will use it mightily."

Maybe God needs my weakness to change the world.  Maybe my strength will get in the way of God's workings.  Is God whispering in my ear and His closeness is a little too close for comfort?  But I must stay close.

Frances Havergal goes on to explain the paradox of consecration: " Full consecration may be in one sense the act of the moment, and in another the work of a lifetime.  It must be complete to be real, and yet, if real it is always incomplete; a part of rest, and yet a perpetual progression."

Don't let God's closeness misinterpret His concern.  God's closeness may seem creepy at times but usually it's the only way we can hear His Holiness.

                                               Take my heart, and let it be
                                               Consecrated Lord, to Thee
                                               Take myself, and I will be
                                               Ever, only, All for Thee.
                                                               
                                                                                Frances R. Havergal (1874)

No comments:

Post a Comment