Sunday, February 12, 2012

Commitment

Do you remember back in grade school when all the kids get together to play a game and "picked" sides? I wasn't horrible at games or sports but I was a bit chubby. Chubby didn't translate well into team sports in my day. My feet would kick quite a bit of dirt while the captains decided who had to take me. But you know what; I would show 'em I'd stick around till they picked me. I'd show them I was a good choice.
Don't let it be unstated...I am a wonderful Swede. I can be somewhat stubborn. Not that I mean to be. I don't think it's because I love to be right as much as it's no fun to be wrong. Maybe that's why Valentine's Day is my least favorite day...I'm stubborn. Hallmark continues to make my life uncomfortable. Why do I have to convince someone who is incredibly special to me that she is incredibly special? Does that mean that she doesn't think that I think she's special anymore? If that's the case a box of chocolates won't solve anything. Don't panic, I'm not a complete loser. I get the whole coochy, coochy, cooh, lovey, dovey, doeh stuff but it's just one more day for me to remember...and forget. These special days bring much expectation putting a spotlight on my inability to accomplish such perfection.
I may not be good at this Valentine's stuff but I will continue to be stubborn and show you I was a good choice. I may never make your coffee strong enough or buy the right flowers for your bouquet, and the chocolates I give you will most likely be waxy, but my commitment to you will always be strong till death drags me from you.
Happy Valentine's Day

1 comment:

  1. Jim, a friend and I were just talking about this. I think it would be more special to receive something unexpected from someone I cared about or to give them something on a day that isn't so commercial, rather than make a day everyone feels pressured to give (what's so special about that?). Of course, I've never been in a situation that makes this day significant either, so I'll leave it to the experts. :)

    ReplyDelete