Thursday, October 11, 2012

Prayer Journey (part 3)

It was early morning, not much past bedtime, when I awoke with an overwhelming concern tugging at me.  All I could think about was a friend from high school.  I hadn't spoken to or seen him since we graduated, maybe five or six years.  Why this concern?  We weren't that close, why would I be so worried about him?  I dropped to my knees and prayed for him for a good half hour.  There was nothing specific to pray for so I prayed, in general, for his safety, his family, his heart.  The middle of the night meandered into morning and I couldn't get my friend or the unusual events out of my mind.  I searched out a phone number and called him.  I told him I had prayed for him the night before and asked if everything was OK.  We exchanged exact times of me on my knees and he in a basement being soaked by a ruptured, frozen water pipe while holding an electric hair dryer.

What does it matter?  Why use two prayers?  My friend screamed for God's help.  Why would God wake me up in the middle of the night to pray for a friend?  God could have taken care of this situation without my prayer and no one would have been the wiser.  Who knows what God had in mind.

Maybe if I leave my heart open to the Lord he will allow the precipitation of prayers to trickle in giving me a chance to participate in the excitement of the workings of a most Holy God.

1 comment:

  1. We are not always told the reason why when we pray yet God invites us to come boldly to the Throne of Grace to obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Perhaps His waking you up to pray for your friend kept him from dying and will open the door for another chance to witness to him.

    ReplyDelete