Friday, December 30, 2011

Darn Socks

A few years ago the psychological state of "get a grip" became somewhat of a physical reality.  Holding onto things became quite a challenge.  One of my most daunting feats was putting on my socks.  This task became quite lengthy and brought me to tears more than once.  However, I think some unique insight was gained.

Socks seem to have certain areas that wear out first.  Are these worn spots created by me or something else?  Is it a crooked toe, goofy heel or some other malady?  Maybe it's bad stitching or a rock under the insole.  Whatever the situation...do I ever do anything to fix the sock?  Unfortunately, I believe I have bought into the new reality, throw away the old and get a new pair.

Here was my revelation.  I never threw anything away until there was a hole.  It seemed, though, that at every "thin" spot a callous was already beginning.  Calluses are very hard to get rid of and create their own set of problems.  Maybe I should darn my socks before a callus begins. 

Could this be my problem with new years resolutions?  Have all my failures worn holes in my life creating such thick calluses that they have become insurmountable?  Has sadness grown into bitterness?  Does loneliness grown into disillusionment?  Could misunderstanding change into anger?  Must I wait till a certain time in my life to whittle away my calluses?  Would it not be better for me to darn my socks before the calluses begin? 

Has the falseness of bitterness begun to grow?  Maybe I need to be thankful for all I don't deserve.  Has disillusionment overtaken me?  Maybe I should surround my life with good thoughts, great people and a sufficient God.  Have I created my own anger?  Maybe I need to listen and understand. 

Maybe I need to be resolute and keep my socks darned all year long.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment